Tuesday, January 8, 2013

'People in Interaction' challenge

Drawing people is hard. It requires insight in anatomy and the way people move, general drawing skill and a lot of practise to get things right. Because product design often requires images to communicate how an object is used, being able to draw people is a rather useful skill.

To gain some much-needed practise in this field, I did a 15-day drawing challenge: "people in interaction". Every day, pick an item and draw a person interacting with that item three times, with different interactions or viewing angles. Phew! Talk about challenging!

I cheated big time on the hands and faces, because they are a drawing skill in themselves and will need a separate study to get it right in drawings. Trying to draw those correct as well now would've driven me to insanity, so yea... Mañana, mañana...

After doing this challenge I definitely feel I'm having better grip on drawing people. Of course I still need a lót of practise and study, but it definitely got easier (and faster) along the way. Doing a challenge like this also gives a better understanding of your 'problem areas', in my case I really have problems drawing hips accurately. Also, clothes and drawing poses with arms raised in the air could use some special attention.

Sometimes I used reference pictures to get certain body parts right. A good source for reference pictures (both full body, specific body parts and expressions) is Kxhara at Deviantart. I love her pictures, they are very convenient!

No comments:

Post a Comment