Thursday, May 31, 2012

Photography and growing blisters

Not having been active with my camera for more than half a year, I notice that my photography skills have gotten rather rusty. I didn't have that much skill to begin with, only having started with exploring the effects of lighting, depth, composition and backgrounds, but still...

For me, photography is something I'm not looking forward to beforehand, but as soon as I start I really like the process. Fortunately, my boyfriend (and other friends as well) are quite into photographing, being kind enough to provide me with tips and feedback (and even a camera, thanks Love ;) ). When photographing for my previous blog, I have even made a couple of pictures that I am actually proud of! These can be viewed on my Flickr account. However, I really need to practise again, so I'm trying to photograph some random inanimate objects whenever I have the time. This week:

The beautiful roses my boyfriend gave me for my birthday:





...and a worn-down flower hawaii-necklace against our wall:



On another note, because there is going to be a performance with my Tuna music group (nothing to do with the fish, 'Tuna' comes from 'tunar', the Spanish word for roaming around, as Tuna groups stem from student troubadour groups in medieval Spain) and I tend to skip rehearsals whenever I'm busy or tired (which is often), I'm back to practising the songs at home. The texts (in Spanish, which I do not speak) have been forgotten to the point that I can only hope no one with a working knowledge of Spanish is listening when I sing (fortunately, my voice is very quiet, lol - still need to work on that). But most important, my bandurria (a sort of Spanish mandoline) play has gotten worse as well, and that can be heard by anyone, yikes!

So now I have about 12 songs (the ones that have a high chance to be chosen at the performance) to improve on within week. Bandurrias have double, metal, high pitched snares, so after playing for half an hour your fingers start to hurt (of course, the skin of my fingers has softened over time making it worse), and I really have to limit my playing time to prevent getting blisters on my finger tops... I just hope it'll work out!

Update: Ouch... two blistered fingertips already...

No comments:

Post a Comment