Saturday, June 2, 2012

Busy busy busy

What a week... I can feel the fatigue in my head and my joints, but I've worked hard, had much fun and learned a lot. Nevertheless, I'm happy that next week will be less eventful: finally time to work on my designs!

I worked on the webdesign job, I worked in the shop, I went to rehearsal, I went to the gym, I practised bandurria until I got blisters on my fingers, I practised singing until my voice went soar, I performed with the group (in the sun, with ice-cream afterwards), I dusted my camera off and made some pictures, I stalked a bird (more about that later), I fixed my bicycle tire, I worked out at home so fanatically (apparently) that I walked funny the next days, and I even went to the Open day at Shapeways (the 3D printing company) which was by far the most awesome event this week.

We got a tour through their Eindhoven office (the company started in Eindhoven, the Netherlands but now has its headquarters in New York), got to see the offices and the people working there, the 3D printing machines, cleaning facilities and everything else. The machines were impressive to see in action even though I already had seen similar ones before. It was really interesting to hear about everything they do and be able to ask lots of questions, and right now I'm just brimming with enthusiasm and inspiration for new designs.

I also got this little 3D printed intertwined cube thingy to take home with me (oh, the awesomeness of printed products!), and I just keep feeling and tossing and poking it. It's made in the material they call Alumide, and even though I wasn't impressed when I saw it online, I quite like it seeing it for real. 

The fabric in the background is from Ikea, I'm planning to turn it into a desk basket for my camera + camera-stuff as soon as I've made a dent in my sewing projects waiting list. Or earlier in case of little self-control (which is the usual).
And guess what this is? (Yes, except for a display of attempted organisation):

I made it! All parts of the patchwork piece are cut, I even had some tiny scraps left. Now I just have to decide whether I follow my original design and make big triangles out of two small triangles from the same fabric, or whether I mix up all the small triangles. Hmm...


About the bird: this week, when going home, I closely passed a western Jackdaw (a sort of small crow, in Dutch: kauw) that was just standing on the ground, looking a bit phased. Feathers ruffled and messy, looking like it didn't really know what to do.

I looked at it, it looked back with a look of "well, I'm not happy with this situation either, you know". I kept watching it, and it turned around and walked away from me. It spread its wings a bit and attempted to jump but nothing happened, so it just kept on walking. A bit worried, I parked my bike at home and walked back to the bird. Still strolling around with the same "what to do"-look, it was clear that the poor thing wasn't able, or didn't know how to fly.

So I called the animal protection service to ask what to do, and they told me that around this time, young Jackdaws are flying out and often need to learn how to fly. Their parents are still guarding and feeding them, and it is normal to find them walking on the ground, so it is best to let nature run its course and not interfere. I had no idea! Also, the reason why it was looking that phased might be that it had just fallen out of its nest. Ouch... Apparently all normal, but I'm just glad I'm not a bird.

Also, I've found a nice song for singing practise (let's train those vocal cords!), still need to find more. I hope that, once I've improved my singing technique a bit, I'll be able to play some chords on the ukulele at the same time.


P.S.: as I was getting more and more annoying by the ugliness of the blog theme, I really want to design my own. But I need to hold myself back because there are more important things to do right now and in the next weeks. Awww... (As a compromise, I've allowed myself to search for a decent template and try out some things for the time being, so don't be surprised if the blogs looks differently over time).

No comments:

Post a Comment